Thursday, September 10, 2015

Is It Wrong To Appropriate Someone Else's Culture


Braids can be worn by anyone

I've read items on social networking by famous and non-famous black people, complaining about white people appropriating black culture in music, films and hairstyles. As long as it is respectful, I don't see the problem with it. If a white person wants to rap, sing R&B music and or wear a curly wig or braids, so what. There's nothing wrong with that.

Black women who wear weaves and extensions are appropriating white culture, as the hair textures, styles and hair colors are based on and from European hair. Once again, there's nothing wrong with that. It's your hair, because you bought it (LOL). At the end of the day, people need to be accepting of other races. God made us all and we're all beautiful.

Side Bar: On twitter people joke black people like KFC and white people like Starbucks. I'm black and I like KFC and Starbucks. I was going through my closet recently and found a pair of Uggs I'd bought online (this was after making an innocuous Uggs joke on Twitter). My point, people should embrace what they like regardless of what stereotypes state.

RELATED ARTICLE