Thursday, April 16, 2015

Deputy Sheriff Charged With Manslaughter In The Shooting Death Of Black Man Who Was Already Handcuffed On The Ground

 

Robert Bates

A Tulsa, Oklahoma deputy sheriff, Robert C. Bates, was charged with second degree manslaughter in the shooting death of Eric Harris, who was already handcuffed and on the ground at the time the incident occurred. After Bates shot Harris, he was heard saying, "I shot him! I'm sorry." Bates stated he was reaching for his taser, not gun. However, it does not explain why he deployed the weapon, as they do not look alike.


What has really inflamed the public is the comments of Bates' fellow officers, who refused to listen to Harris' pleas for help as he lay dying on the ground. Harris stated, "He shot me! He shot me, man. Oh, my g-d. I’m losing my breath.” Officers responded, “F*** your breath. Shut the f**k up.” Based on the video of the incident, no real effort was made to help Harris when at least one party, Bates, knew he had been mortally wounded via gunshot.

RELATED ARTICLES